Since she left town eight years ago, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed again in her family’s Victorian mansion, Camille is haunted by the childhood tragedy she has spent her whole life trying to cut from her memory.
HARMFUL on her wrist, WHORE on her ankle
As Camille works to uncover the truth about these violent crimes, she finds herself identifying with the young victims—a bit too strongly. Clues keep leading to dead ends, forcing Camille to unravel the psychological puzzle of her own past to get at the story. Dogged by her own demons, Camille will have to confront what happened to her years before if she wants to survive this homecoming.
Bad points in my opinion
• In certain parts of the book, I thought it dragged on especially when it came to finding out who was murdering the children. I know authors do this to ad suspense but I found my suspense turned to frustration.
• Too much focus on her past, which to me seems pretty repetitive and also frustrated me.
• The focus on sex in places it didn’t need to be annoyed me. Sex themes where appearing in parts of the book where it hadn’t been mentioned and didn’t need to be.
• The bullying/abuse in the book whether it was with young adults or actual adults seemed to me to be glorified as good. One quote in the book annoyed me a lot, which was when she mentioned a young girl being passed around a group of lads at a party and Camille stood up for the guys and said it was basically the girls fault and they don’t need saving!
• It seemed like the author decided one character was going to be the murderer and then when it got to the end, changed her mind and choose someone else.
Good points in my opinion
• The only good thing I can think of when I am writing this review is how the author captures how people like Camille who have a history like she does with self harming, still feel years after the self harming has stopped and how the self harming now makes me feel. I feel like it was handle quite well as it can be a hard subject to write/ talk about.
Over all at first I gave this book 3 stars but when looking at what three stars represents on good reads I have changed it to two stars. I thought overall it was just ok. It frustrated me a lot, the charactors frustrated me a lot. The story was ok the development was good but towards the end it ‘dragged’ and I felt my self pushing myself to finish it.